Hard water can have more of an impact on your home than you might think. That’s why it’s crucial to know and recognize its signs. Here, we outline the signs of hard water, how to test for it, and the solutions to dealing with hard water in your home.
How do you know if you have hard water?
There are a couple of signs to tell if you’ve got hard water. These signs are:
- Watermarks on faucets, even after cleaning
- Excessive lime and chalk buildup on the walls of sinks and showers
- For clothes, white clothes look dingy, or your colours fade unusually quickly
- Water has a strange taste or smell
- Your skin feels dry or itchy after a shower
- Low water pressure
- Appliances breaking down quicker than they should
- Dishes have watermarks and residue on them when dried
If you’re noticing any or all of the above, then the chances are that your home has hard water.
How to test for hard water
If you’re looking to run a test to ensure that your home does have hard water, you can easily pick one up from your local home improvement store. You want to be sure that you pick up a test kit from a reputable water-testing manufacturer and that the kit tests for water hardness.
Solutions for hard water
The simplest and most effective solution for dealing with hard water is having a water softener installed. A water softener works by removing the minerals from the water through a process known as ion exchange. Mineral ions that cause hard water are trapped by resin within the system.
If you’re interested in water softener installation services in Calgary, then Westhills can help! Give us a call today to schedule a water softener installation appointment!